才 is an unignorable character in Chinese. It can be used both as a noun and an adverb. What’s difficult is when it is used as an adverb!
When 才 is used as a noun, it has these meanings:
1. Ability; talent; gift; endowment
Her many talents were the envy of all her friends. 她多才多艺, 所有的朋友都很羡慕她。
She had shown her talents dandily. 她炫耀地展示自己的才能。
He has many outstanding gifts. 他多才多艺。
A man of great versatility 十分多才多艺的人。
2. A capable person
To set up “teaching factory” in school to cultivate special talents is no doubt a favorable measure. 在校内开办“教学工厂”来培养专业人才,无疑是有益的举措。
We will take still more effective measures to attract and employ well-trained personnel from abroad and encourage Chinese students studying overseas to return home and work in China. 进一步采取有效措施,吸引和聘用境外高级人才,鼓励留学人员回国创业。
3. A surname
才 is one of the Chinese surnames. “才”是中国姓氏之一。
Here are the several common uses of 才 as an adverb
1. Just
我才来这座城市。 I just came to this city.
2. Only
这本书才卖十块钱。This book just sells for ten yuan.
3. Used with 只有、要、必须、一定、因为、由于、etc. to express certain condition, reason or purpose to make something happen.
只有坚持学习,才能提高中文。Only if you keep on learning, can you improve your Chinese.
你必须/一定得多说,才能提高汉语口语。You must speak more to improve your oral Chinese.
正因为在下雨,我才要带伞。 Just because it’s raining, I’m going to take an umbrella.
4. Emphasis or strengthen the tone
我才不管呢!I don’t care at all!
我才不管你什么时候打扫房子呢,这由你自己决定。I don’t care when you clean the house. It’s up to you.
You know you’re going to tell on me, and oh, what shall I do, what shall I do! 你会告发我的,这下我该怎么办才好呢?
5. Used with an adverbial of time or in a question to signify “very late”
爱丽丝昨晚10点才做完工作。Alice didn’t finish the work until to last night .
你怎么现在才到? How do you just come now?
一个星期过去了他的信才到。A week passed before his letter arrived.